Every day in Australia 8 babies are born with congenital heart conditions, which are the leading cause of death for infants under 12 months old. BTDT Coffee’s co-founder, Lisa Bonnici, was faced with these daunting facts when her daughter, Kaitlyn, was born in 2015 with the life-threatening heart condition TGA (transposition of the great arteries).
At just 8 days old, little Kaitlyn underwent open heart surgery at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital to save her young life. Throughout this harrowing experience, HeartKids were there to provide encouragement and hope for Lisa and her family.
“The support our family received from HeartKids was something we will always be thankful for”
~ Lisa Bonnici
How we help
HeartKids are the only research funding body in Australia dedicated to exploring the causes, treatment and management of congenital heart conditions. The organisation also provides information, advocacy, and support to help some of the 64,000 of children, teens and adults living with congenital heart disease (CHD).
We donate 10c from every cup we sell to HeartKids to help their continued research efforts to give hope to other families who are going through the same ordeal as Lisa and her family.
Did you know?
- Around 3,000 Australian babies are born with a heart defect each year.
- CHD is the most common birth defect, affecting 1 in every 100 babies.
- Almost 50% of children with a congenital heart condition require corrective surgery.
- 30% of all infant deaths (under 1 year old) can be attributed to CHD, more than any other single cause.
- Some heart conditions can be acquired during childhood from things like rheumatic fever.
- CHD can only be managed. There is currently no known cure.